All over IP in the Building – Why?
Which network technology offers the most sustainable options for building automation? What do the different cabling systems do? Investors, building owners, planners, and system integrators ask themselves this question on a daily basis. R&M names criteria for the use of the Internet protocol – for All over IP.
4 MIN READ
What does All over IP mean?
Unlike previously available field bus systems, All over IP opens up better development possibilities for smart buildings. All over IP will unfurl its advantages particularly in large, extended functional buildings and factories: something R&M is sure will happen.
All over IP means All devices involved in building technology and building management communicate in the same way, without barriers, over Ethernet/Internet Protocol (Ethernet/IP), The local data network (LAN) forms the physical communication basis. The Internet and the cloud can be integrated into the background. Power over Ethernet (PoE) takes care of the power supply problem. It powers end devices over data cables. An efficient and inexpensive solution.
The strengths of All over IP
- Investment: Devices and systems which work with Ethernet/IP technology are comparatively inexpensive. Competition, uncomplicated standards, and mass production reduce manufacturing costs. Open standards and license-free software which is free of charge simplify engineering.
- Connectivity: IP devices and networks speak the same language «end to end». They do not need any «translation» between the server, operating systems (e.g. with gateways), cable and end device. They are easy to connect to each other with a standardized RJ45 interface. This simplifies installation, commissioning and maintenance.
- Performance: Ethernet/IP transmits complex data and large quantities of data faster than field bus systems. That enables the collection and distribution of data from the entire network. The availability of fast data connections allows new applications to be used. An Internet-aided, digital ecological system of all applications exists in the building.
- Scalability: Buildings can be connected and controlled digitally throughout. The current Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) can theoretically allocate around 1,500 IP addresses per square meter. In the practical implementation, there is no limit to the number of devices which can be addressed.
- Security: The star-shaped topology reduces the number of connection points and gives IP networks more operational reliability. The access controls and authentication measures incorporated in the IP improve the security of building automation.
- Add-ons: Thanks to the total availability of data from different components, new applications can be developed. An administrator can integrate these with the click of a mouse.
- Future-proof: IEEE is already working on the next generation of transmission technology with the new Single Pair Ethernet (SPE). SPE will reduce the costs of connectivity even further and decrease the size too. Just the right thing for building automation. It is not, however, supposed to replace the existing solutions but build on and extend them. SPE will be perfect for connecting a large number of small sensors and actuators.
We at R&M are convinced: With All-over-IP solutions, the realization of smart buildings will become less expensive than with conventional solutions. The reason for this is the «genetics» of Ethernet/IP and LAN cabling.
All over IP allows flexible, universal, simple installations. This means we are coming closer and closer to the vision of an ecological, economical, convenient and secure building. In the longer term, digitized building automation will become an integral part of the Internet of Things (IoT).
This is what R&M does for you
R&M has a wealth of experience when it comes to Ethernet/IP in buildings, offices and large-scale facilities, such as factories and airports.
The company already has tried and tested solutions in its range for new cabling concepts, such as Passive Optical LAN (POLAN) and Digital Ceiling.
The modular cabling system R&Mfreenet offers a top-quality complete solution for any application and project size. The range is generic and masters both current and future transmission methods. R&Mfreenet components (from individual connector families to entire copper and fiber optic building cabling systems) are tailored to suit each other in such a way that they always work together.